First Look Analysis
The “First Look” is an analysis of the first 20k words of your manuscript. If you’re not sure if you’re on the right path or are worried about going too far in the wrong direction, the First Look is the perfect tool to help strengthen the start of your book. The editor will read over those critical first 20k words to highlight areas of concern and strengths including structure, character development, pacing, and plot. It’s the perfect starter service for those interested in our Content Editing and Developmental Editing services.
This service entails:
- A meeting by phone (usually an hour or two) during which the editor delivers notes verbally and discusses solutions.
Rate: $250 flat fee
The developmental edit is a service that we offer early in the writing process, though you might find it useful even halfway into the process of writing your book. Having a great developmental editor is like having a story fairy in your inner circle–she’ll see things you don’t, and suggest things you might not have thought of as you write your story. She will guide you into making the bones of your story as strong as they can possibly be by focusing on character development, story structure, and dialogue, among other things.
The goal of a developmental edit is to give you a partner in your writing—a coach and a cheerleader to help see you to the end and give you a boost along the way.
This service entails:
- A scheduled hour long “beginning” plot-focused phone call. This phone call helps to get the ball rolling and get all parties on the same page.
- Once weekly check-ins, typically via email.
- Designated incremented word check-ins (amounts determined by both parties) with notes and the possibility of a 20-minute clarification phone call as deemed necessary by both parties and dependent on scheduling availability.
Prior to booking this time-intensive edit, our developmental editor will engage in a ten to fifteen-minute phone call with prospective clients.
Rate: quoted upon request
The content edit is intended as a comprehensive evaluation of your story’s framework and essential elements. This is the pass that considers the ten-thousand-foot view but also highlights the potential for small improvements. The content editor will read your story–sometimes twice. She’ll look for issues in pacing, plot, characterization, and structure. The content editor isn’t a beta reader, and she shouldn’t be your first reader. She’s the person you turn to when you believe you’ve done literally everything within your power to make your story sing—or when you’re beating your head against a wall because you’re not sure what to do now. She’s there to offer notes and guidance, and to coach you to solutions.
This is intended as a first pass at a manuscript that has just been deemed “done.” When you’ve done all you can, pass it along for a thorough read-through and notes relating to the overall plot, pacing, characterization, and point of view. This is a story-intensive edit, and it could be said that content editing is to story structure what line editing is to writing. The content edit is a “big picture” edit and is not intended to replace a line edit or proofread, where polishing will be done.
This service may entail either:
- In-manuscript or outline format notes pertaining to but not limited to plot, pacing, and characterization.
- A 2-5 page analysis of the manuscript as a whole, identifying issues and including suggestions and specific strategies for enhancement.
Rate: $.0075/word ($375 for a 50k manuscript.)
Plot Focused Phone Calls
Sometimes you need someone to talk it out with, fill in some sections, and more. Phone calls are often the best to really voice what’s going on inside our stories and creative minds. We offer a free ten minute consultation phone call to see if we are a good fit.
Rate: $75 / hour flat fee | $200 / monthly plan package (includes four calls)
Blurbs are one of the top three things to help sell your book. Send us what you have while answering a few important questions and we’ll do our best to get you sorted.
This service entails:
- A meeting by email or phone (usually an hour or so) during which two possible options inspired by the blurb presented.
- Three rounds of edits are applied to the drafted blurbs.
- Possible tag lines for your story.
Rate: $75 with three rounds of changes.
Additional turns or changes may incur an additional fee.
First Five Page Sample
We always welcome the chance to do a sample edit on the first five pages of your manuscript to see if we’re a good fit. Not every match is the perfect match and that’s okay!
Sometimes life happens and you need your manuscript back hot quick.
Rate: quote upon request